Friday, August 22, 2014

Technology Roadmap vs Product Roadmap

This blog is about the difference between a technology roadmap vs a product roadmap.  I have worked in the field of information technology for over 15 years and I have dealt with many technologies.  I have been also been involved in product development for many years now. When I was in the early part of my career I have discussed what is the difference between a technology roadmap vs a product roadmap. I have researched this topic and most articles out on the internet deal with this subject at a very high level and it is so abstract to follow what is really being discussed.  In this blog, I would like to present my view on what the difference is using a concrete example.

Technology Roadmap
Let us first begin with a technology roadmap.  Assume that your organization deals with its vendors using an online system that has a UI interface.  Your organization may also allow its vendors to interact using APIs or excel integration for bulk uploads.  Your organization does not currently have the capability to support EDI transactions.  Your organization may want to support EDI transactions.  The technology needed to support EDI transaction would be put on the technology roadmap.

Product Roadmap
Using the same example above, the various EDI transaction that would be supported by your organization would be put on a product roadmap.  We quickly realize that without the underlying technology to support this request, the product roadmap can only be executed once we have executed the technology roadmap.

No comments:

Post a Comment